Wednesday, January 30, 2019

Progress and Updates

I had really hoped to get our first debt down to the $1k mark last Friday but I just wasn’t willing to take a thousand dollar hit to the checking account over and above my paycheck.  In just over a week though, it will happen.  I’ve decided to leave that $1k balance n the card for now.  Sometimes credit card companies have a nasty habit of closing accounts once you pay them off.  We had that happen with a Bank of America card.  They had been happy to collect our interest over the years but shortly after we paid it off, they closed it.  

As I’ve stated before, once that account is at the lower amount, I will move straight on to paying down our other credit card.it has a $5k balance and will likely only take one and a half to two months to pay down to less than $1k.  From there, we need to decide what path to take.  We may decide to pay towards both our car and motorcycle equally or alternate increased payments.  Both have low fixed interest rates but we’d just like to have lower balances.  Of course, with any debt repayment you always have unexpected expenses that throw you for a loop.  Last year it was a dud car and tree trimming expenses then a cruise we paid cash for.  Who knows what will happen this year.

I’m still working on my gree Triple Irish Chain quilt.  I finished a row and rolled the quilt forward another 8-10 inches.  Slow progress is better than no progress.  I’m currently also working on constructing a baby quilt and buying supplies for a traditional Double Wedding Ring quilt.  I think I’ve decided that I make more progress when I have several projects going.  I can bounce between as interest wanes.

It’s very cold here right now.  They had forecast snow for earlier this week but it didn’t happen.  Work is very busy.  By Tuesday afternoon, I already had nearly two hours of overtime for the week. I could work an extra hour every day and just barely keep up most days.  I have to mention that I find many of my coworkers to have bad attitudes or look and act weary at work.  They don’t seem to be cheerful. I know it’s tough to get up every morning and get to work.  Maybe you don’t like what you do or don’t want to be there but you are.  Make the best of it.  Stop complaining about everything.  Smile.  Find some joy.  I just wish I had more energy after work and maybe got to bed a little earlier at night.

February is a pantry/freezer challenge month.  Technically, I guess it started Monday.  I’m going to try to plan meals to use a lot of our pantry and freezer items and only supplement new groceries as needed.  I also need to use up what we have.  For example, I’m planning fried rice and egg rolls for Saturday.  I just need broccoli and maybe some sugar snap peas (unless I can find some in the freezer). I may buy an extra box of egg rolls if they are still BOGO.  If we’re home for Saturday lunch, it will be sub sandwiches.  Pizza on Friday is all set. I have a crust, sauce, cheese and meat already.  Sunday, I will cook fish and chicken - from the freezer.  I may need a few veggies and definitely milk, eggs and bread.  



No comments: