Thursday, January 17, 2019

Budgeting to Eliminate Debt

I did a little preliminary work today on a net worth calculation and also a monthly budget.  The net worth calculation will be helpful to see what assets we have that we may not have remembered or considered such as stock ownership, retirement accounts and asset value versus debt.  As we begin to make plans and ramp towards retirement, these will be important to track and consider as we make decisions.  I also quickly looked at a loan amortization schedule but couldn’t get the figures to match up with our loan.  I’ll take another look at that at a later date.  All of our February bills are paid except for the water bill.  It is usually the last one because they don’t store bank numbers so you have to have your card available when you pay.  That means two trips up and down the steps!

Changes to my prescription drug coverage for 2019 mean that I need to change pharmacies for my prescriptions and revisit where I fill DH’s prescriptions.  Looks like I will be required to fill mine at CVS or mail order.  I know I can get one of DH’s prescriptions for free at Publix and one may be significantly cheaper at Kroger with the membership.  I’ll have to analyze if it make sense to move them all or just the one.  Some may actually be cheaper by paying cash and using GoodRx.

I tried two new recipes today:  flat bread from Bigger Bolder Baking and Banana Cake from Spend with Pennies.  The flat bread was good but needs a little salt to negate the bland nature of this bread.  It was quick and easy but next time, I will use a little less yogurt, a little more baking powder and mix it up closer to baking time.  I will also leave it a little thicker so it’s less like a tortilla.  The jury is still out on the cake.  We’ll eat that a little later this evening.

Most of the Christmas stuff has been put away neatly.  I have some gift wrap bags, a rug, wreath an nativity still to put away but it was a big accomplishment to get that done today.  I will attempt to finish this task tomorrow and also get boxes out to the garbage for pick up Thursday morning.

I start my new schedule at work tomorrow.  I start work a half an hour earlier and also leave earlier.  My start time will be 7:30 now instead of 8 but I expect that I will start work around 7 every day to get a little OT in.  Getting out of work 30 minutes earlier will mean it will be easier to stop at the store on the way home or make a dinner that requires a little more time.  I can also get a load of clothes runnng or the garbage to the curb before it gets dark.  I’m hoping that it’s an improvement.  

Today has generally been very constructive.  I was able to go to Joann’s today and although I wasn’t able to get any fat quarters (they weren’t on sale like I thought), I did buy fabric for a baby quilt I need to work on.  It was on sale for 40% off so I spent about $15 for the top fabric.  I will either use something I already have for the back and batting or pick up something on sale in the next few weeks.  It’s medium gray, light gray and mint to match/coordinate with the nursery.  I need to decide on a pattern and get started.

Back to work tomorrow but it is just a four day week!



No comments: